Skip to content
Breaking News

Breaking News

  • Home
  • World
  • Business
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Life Style
  • Sports
  • Toggle search form
Injury-hit Barça lose Gündoğan for LaLiga opener

Injury-hit Barça lose Gündoğan for LaLiga opener

Posted on August 17, 2024 By Admin No Comments on Injury-hit Barça lose Gündoğan for LaLiga opener


  • Sam Marsden

  • Moises Llorens

Aug 17, 2024, 07:09 AM ET

Ilkay Gündoğan has been ruled out of Barcelona‘s LaLiga opener at Valencia on Saturday (ABC, ESPN+ and ESPN Deportes) to add to the Catalan side’s injury problems ahead of the new season.

Gündoğan, 33, took a knock to his head in Monday’s 3-0 Joan Gamper Trophy defeat to Monaco and will sit out the trip to Mestalla as a precaution.

Editor’s Picks

1 Related

The Germany international joins Gavi, Frenkie de Jong, Ronald Araújo and Ansu Fati on the sidelines, while Fermín López is yet to return from time off following his efforts with Spain at the European Championship and Olympic Games this summer.

Summer signing Dani Olmo, a €55 million ($60.6m) arrival from RB Leipzig, is also unavailable despite training with his new teammates for the last week.

Barça coach Hansi Flick says the Spain international is not fit enough to be involved, but his signing has not yet been registered with LaLiga, either, as the Blaugrana look to create space within their league-imposed spending cap to inscribe him.

The registrations of Iñigo Martínez, Pau Victor, Marc Casadó and Pablo Torre were finally processed on Friday, though, leaving Olmo and striker Vitor Roque‘s as the only two pending.

Gündoğan suffered a head injury against Monaco on Monday. Siu Wu/picture alliance via Getty Images

However, sources have told ESPN that Brazilian striker Roque, a €35m signing in January, has been told he can find a new club before the transfer window closes this month, either on loan or a permanent deal.

Elsewhere, Pedri returns to Barça’s squad to face Valencia after missing preseason with an injury sustained in Spain’s Euro 2024 quarterfinal win over Germany in July.

Flick says Pedri could play some part in the second half, meaning youngsters Casadó, Torre and Marc Bernal are the only natural midfielders fit to start, although Andreas Christensen and Raphinha can also be used centrally.



Source link

Sports

Post navigation

Previous Post: Gold Boosts Returns And Lowers Risk, While Bitcoin Heightens Volatility: World Gold Council
Next Post: Houston hires New Mexico’s Nunez as Cougars’ AD

More Related Articles

Rashford set for Barça debut as registration settled Rashford set for Barça debut as registration settled Sports
Salford City hoping Man United alums, rebrand helps push for global fame Salford City hoping Man United alums, rebrand helps push for global fame Sports
Your guide to Day 1 of the men’s Sweet 16: High-scoring games, OT, more Your guide to Day 1 of the men’s Sweet 16: High-scoring games, OT, more Sports
Pakistan warns India against politicising Asia Cup clash | The Express Tribune Pakistan warns India against politicising Asia Cup clash | The Express Tribune Sports
Chances of rain in match with NZ dampen Pakistan’s hopes of improving in World Cup Chances of rain in match with NZ dampen Pakistan’s hopes of improving in World Cup Sports
WNBA teams should be co-branded with NBA teams, reporter says: ‘Why force people to learn about the Fever?’ WNBA teams should be co-branded with NBA teams, reporter says: ‘Why force people to learn about the Fever?’ Sports

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Coco Gauff dominates Jelena Ostapenko to reach her first US Open semifinal | CNN
  • Byron Allen on his love for late night TV as his show
  • WHO says Ebola not a
  • American tourists arrested in Japan after alleged break-in at viral monkey Punch’s enclosure
  • Sony PlayStation Plus price hike confirmed: New subscribers to pay more starting May 20

Categories

  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Life Style
  • Sports
  • World

Copyright © 2026 Breaking News.

Powered by PressBook Blog WordPress theme