Skip to content
Breaking News

Breaking News

  • Home
  • World
  • Business
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Life Style
  • Sports
  • Toggle search form
FIFA: U.S. govt determines World Cup city safety

FIFA: U.S. govt determines World Cup city safety

Posted on October 16, 2025 By Admin No Comments on FIFA: U.S. govt determines World Cup city safety


Oct 16, 2025, 05:34 AM ET

FIFA has acknowledged that the United States government has the final say on determining the safety of World Cup host cities.

The news comes after U.S. president Donald Trump said FIFA president Gianni Infantino would “very easily” move 2026 World Cup matches away from designated host cities if Trump asked him to.

Editor’s Picks

Trump also indicated he would seek to move the 2028 Olympic Games away from Los Angeles if he felt the city was not safe.

The U.S. president has previously spoken about moving World Cup matches away from what he deemed “dangerous” cities, previously naming Seattle and San Francisco.

“Safety and security are the top priorities at all FIFA events worldwide,” a FIFA spokesperson said. “Safety and security are obviously the governments’ responsibility and they decide what is in the best interest for public safety.

“We hope every one of our 16 host cities will be ready to successfully host and fulfil all necessary requirements.”

FIFA has said that decisions on World Cup host city safety lie with the U.S. government. Annabelle Gordon/UPI/Bloomberg via Getty Images

On Thursday, Trump said there had been “street takeovers” in Boston and claimed FIFA would move matches for next summer’s finals if he asked.

“If somebody is doing a bad job, and if I feel there are unsafe conditions, I would call Gianni, the head of FIFA, who’s phenomenal, and I would say, ‘Let’s move it to another location’,” he told reporters in the U.S. on Tuesday.

“And he would do that. He wouldn’t love to do it, but he’d do it very easily.

“He’d do it and this is the right time to do it.

“I could say the same thing for the Olympics. If I thought L.A. was not going to be prepared properly, I would move it to another location.

“If I had to on that one, I’d probably have to get a different kind of a permission, but we would do that.”

-Trump threatens to pull World Cup games from Boston over unrest
-All 87 national teams that could win next summer
-2026 World Cup: Who has qualified, and how the rest can make it

FIFA president Infantino has developed a close relationship with Trump and most recently attended a Middle East peace summit alongside him in Egypt earlier this week.

FIFA vice president Victor Montagliani said “FIFA makes those decisions” when asked earlier this month about Trump’s original threat to move matches.

Montagliani told Leaders Week London: “With all due respect to current world leaders, football is bigger than them and football will survive their regime and their government and their slogans.”

FIFA is understood to believe there are no issues with any of the 16 host cities across the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

A spokesperson for the International Olympic Committee (IOC) said in response to Trump’s comments: “The Olympic Games LA28 have the full support of the President of the United States, the Governor of California and the Mayor of Los Angeles.

“All of them are being extremely helpful in the preparations for these Games. This is mirrored on the operational level of the administration. There are three years to go and we are confident that LA28 will be great Olympic Games.”



Source link

Sports

Post navigation

Previous Post: Father refusing polio drops ends up getting vaccinated himself
Next Post: Trump critic John Bolton indicted for mishandling classified info

More Related Articles

LIVE Transfer Talk: Bayern rival Liverpool, Man Utd for Yoro LIVE Transfer Talk: Bayern rival Liverpool, Man Utd for Yoro Sports
MLB legend Willie Mays dead at 93 MLB legend Willie Mays dead at 93 Sports
Daniil Medvedev credits new strings for his success in 2023 after winning first clay title at the Italian Open | CNN Daniil Medvedev credits new strings for his success in 2023 after winning first clay title at the Italian Open | CNN Sports
Coco Gauff ‘can’t really get upset’ at climate protesters who caused 45-minute delay in her US Open semifinal | CNN Coco Gauff ‘can’t really get upset’ at climate protesters who caused 45-minute delay in her US Open semifinal | CNN Sports
Pakistan to Bowl First Against Australia in ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup – SUCH TV Pakistan to Bowl First Against Australia in ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup – SUCH TV Sports
Colorful celebrations of three-day Shandur Polo Festival underway – SUCH TV Colorful celebrations of three-day Shandur Polo Festival underway – SUCH TV Sports

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Hilary Duff addresses family strains and fan rumors about prior relationship in new music
  • Can studying cats lead to breast cancer cures? – SUCH TV
  • Iran rebuilding nuclear program despite Trump talks, opposition figure claims
  • ‘Hamnet’ boosts bard tourism | The Express Tribune
  • Punjab plans wider SME export financing | The Express Tribune

Categories

  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Life Style
  • Sports
  • World

Copyright © 2026 Breaking News.

Powered by PressBook Blog WordPress theme