Skip to content
Breaking News

Breaking News

  • Home
  • World
  • Business
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Life Style
  • Sports
  • Toggle search form

Bronze Age jar smashed by 4-year-old boy back on display at Israeli museum

Posted on September 12, 2024 By Admin No Comments on Bronze Age jar smashed by 4-year-old boy back on display at Israeli museum


An ancient jar is back on display at a museum in Israel nearly two weeks after a 4-year-old visitor accidentally smashed it late last month.

The jar dated back to the Bronze Age, between 2200 and 1500 B.C. — predating the time of Kings David and Solomon — and it was totally intact, making it a rare find and a valuable artifact.

While on display at the Hecht Museum in Haifa, the pint-sized visitor pulled on the artifact to see what was inside, and that caused it to fall over and shatter into pieces.

The Associated Press reported that Alex Geller, the boy’s father, described his son — the youngest of three — as exceptionally curious. When Geller heard the crash, he confessed, the first thought to race through his head was, “Please let that not be my child.”

BOY ACCIDENTALLY DESTROYS 3,500-YEAR-OLD ARTIFACT IN ISRAELI MUSEUM

A young preschooler accidentally shattered a nearly 3,500-year-old jar that was not behind glass at the Hecht Museum in Haifa. (Hecht Museum)

The museum immediately appointed a specialist to restore the jar so it could be returned to its spot near the front entrance of the museum.

On Wednesday, the jar was back on display after being pieced together and restored.

ISRAEL OPENS TOMBS FROM ANCIENT ROME TO THE PUBLIC FOR THE FIRST TIME: ‘WONDERFUL PAINTINGS’

Ancient-Jar-Finished-Product

A rare bronze-era jar, newly reassembled, returned to public exhibition after a four-year-old accidentally broke it in August during a visit at the Hecht Museum of the University of Haifa, Israel, on Wednesday, Sept. 11, 2024.  (AP Photo/Mahmoud Illean)

Oftentimes, when archaeologists piece together artifacts, they face the daunting task of sifting through piles of shards of multiple objects.

But in this case, the repairs were expected to be fairly simple because the pieces were from a single and complete jar, museum restoration expert Roee Shair said.

ARCHAEOLOGISTS UNSEAL 2,000-YEAR-OLD TOMB, FIND MUMMY IN ‘EXCELLENT STATE’

Replacing-Ancient-Jar

A rare bronze-era jar, newly reassembled, returned to public exhibition after a four-year-old accidentally broke it in August during a visit at the Hecht Museum of the University of Haifa, Israel, on Wednesday, Sept. 11, 2024. (AP Photo/Mahmoud Illean)

Using 3D technology, hi-resolution videos and special glue, experts were able to reconstruct the large jar.

A few pieces were missing, and the gluing process left a few hairline cracks, but the impressive size of the jar remains.

ARCHAEOLOGISTS DISCOVER UNDERWATER MOSAIC BELIEVED TO DATE BACK TO ROMAN EMPIRE

Ancient-Jar-In-Place

Bronze-era jar. (AP Photo/Mahmoud Illean)

The only major difference now is there is a new sign near the jar that reads, “Please don’t touch.”

Now that it is back on display, museum director Inbal Rivlin and the museum decided to turn the incident into a teachable moment and invited the Geller family back for a special hands-on visit to illustrate the restoration process.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Greg Wehner is a breaking news reporter for Fox News Digital.

Story tips and can be sent to Greg.Wehner@Fox.com and on Twitter @GregWehner.



Source link

World

Post navigation

Previous Post: Turkmenistan to access Gwadar Port under CPEC | The Express Tribune
Next Post: Big Drop Expected in Petrol Prices | The Express Tribune

More Related Articles

Wagner Group still not recruiting mercenaries following coup, Prigozhin says World
Netanyahu’s security cabinet to meet on Gaza war, as some in Israel call to resettle enclave World
Trump swipes courts for getting in the way of deportation agenda and more top headlines World
Family torn as Georgia teen accused of killing parents denied bond in emotional hearing World
Trump assassination attempt suspect Routh’s legal team considers insanity defense World
Hundreds of trekkers escape from blizzard-struck Everest in Tibet World

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Toby Carvery owner hikes menu prices as it faces £130 million bill
  • WHO issues unprecedented global guidelines to combat infertility – SUCH TV
  • Inside weird and wonderful college football rivalry trophies USC Stanford Michigan
  • National Guard member dies as ambush in US capital becomes political flashpoint
  • What is the ideal meal to sleep gap time, and why it is important for digestion and better sleep

Categories

  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Life Style
  • Sports
  • World

Copyright © 2025 Breaking News.

Powered by PressBook Blog WordPress theme