Skip to content
Breaking News

Breaking News

  • Home
  • World
  • Business
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Life Style
  • Sports
  • Toggle search form
Addenbrooke’s surgeon in Cambridge suspended after children hurt

Addenbrooke’s surgeon in Cambridge suspended after children hurt

Posted on February 14, 2025 By Admin No Comments on Addenbrooke’s surgeon in Cambridge suspended after children hurt


A specialist surgeon has been suspended from a world-renowned NHS hospital after children under their care were left with lasting injuries.

A review was commissioned at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge, after concerns were raised by the surgeon’s colleagues in October.

Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust said an independent expert found operations involving nine children fell “below expected standards” on several occasions over the past two and a half years.

The trust’s chief executive Roland Sinker said: “We are very sorry that this has happened and we apologise unreservedly to our patients and their families.”

Addenbrooke’s is the East of England’s designated major trauma centre.

The review, completed in January, analysed a number of complex paediatric hip surgery cases performed at the hospital.

It found some of the children’s quality of life had been affected, including their mobility.

The procedures in question did not result in amputation, but some of the children required further surgery they otherwise would not have needed, the trust said.

The doctor was put on restricted duties while the investigation took place.

They were suspended after the review and were “fully co-operating” with the trust’s process, Mr Sinker said.

A helpline was made available for parents who were concerned about the treatment their children had received.

The trust has also been contacting the patients and their families to schedule appointments and undergo further clinical assessments where required.

Mr Sinker said: “We take this matter extremely seriously and are committed to ensuring all affected patients and families receive appropriate care and support.”

The hospital trust contacted the General Medical Council, NHS England and the Care Quality Commission in light of the review.

“We will identify whether there were any opportunities to have identified these concerns earlier as well as any wider learning and changes required in the immediate and longer term,” Mr Sinker added.

He said a further review was planned looking at all the operations undertaken by the surgeon during their employment at the trust.

It is the second NHS hospital performing complex surgery to have reviewed the work of a paediatric surgeon in the past six months.

In September, Great Ormond Street Hospital in central London reviewed the cases of about 700 children after concerns about one of its doctors.



Source link

Health

Post navigation

Previous Post: Fun facts about Valentine’s Day: From ancient rituals to modern celebrations | The Express Tribune
Next Post: Gold prices witness significant drop in Pakistan – SUCH TV

More Related Articles

Mustard seeds might be the secret to a younger-looking skin – SUCH TV Mustard seeds might be the secret to a younger-looking skin – SUCH TV Health
A New Way to Prevent S.T.I.s: A Pill After Sex A New Way to Prevent S.T.I.s: A Pill After Sex Health
Lilly to build .5 billion Germany plant as obesity drug demand soars | Reuters News Agency Lilly to build $2.5 billion Germany plant as obesity drug demand soars | Reuters News Agency Health
ECB sounds out lenders on exposure to Spanish drugmaker Grifols  | Reuters News Agency ECB sounds out lenders on exposure to Spanish drugmaker Grifols  | Reuters News Agency Health
12-year-old patient harmed by GOSH surgeon talks about his ordeal 12-year-old patient harmed by GOSH surgeon talks about his ordeal Health
Private companies take over Newcastle sexual health service Private companies take over Newcastle sexual health service Health

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Sony PlayStation Plus price hike confirmed: New subscribers to pay more starting May 20
  • Pakistani celebrities, designers bring cultural flair to Cannes 2026 | The Express Tribune
  • KSE-100 index slumps over 2,500 points amid geopolitical tensions | The Express Tribune
  • Pakistan steady after Das ton | The Express Tribune
  • Video: How Worried Should We Be About Hantavirus?

Categories

  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Life Style
  • Sports
  • World

Copyright © 2026 Breaking News.

Powered by PressBook Blog WordPress theme