Skip to content
Breaking News

Breaking News

  • Home
  • World
  • Business
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Life Style
  • Sports
  • Toggle search form
Lions sack Swanepoel  | The Express Tribune

Lions sack Swanepoel | The Express Tribune

Posted on April 9, 2026 By Admin No Comments on Lions sack Swanepoel | The Express Tribune



LONDON:

South Africa’s Lions have parted ways with all-rounder Beyers Swanepoel after he departed the season-ending 50-overs domestic final before the end of the game, leaving them to ‌field with 10 players in a tight contest against the Titans which they lost.
Swanepoel had signed a contract with Worcestershire in the English County season and left the fixture around the 43rd over to head to the airport to ⁠catch a flight to England.
As his absence was not an injury, the Lions could not replace him in the field.
It was an expensive error in judgement for the 27-year-old, who has since been denied his no-objection certificate (NOC) by Cricket South Africa due to the incident, which means for now he cannot play county cricket either.
He will have to wait for the outcome of his CSA’s hearings before he knows whether he will obtain the required documentation to turn out for Worcestershire, who expected him to be available for the full season. He was not named in Worcestershire’s 13-man squad to play Middlesex on Friday, with the team signing Oliver Hannon-Dalby on a short-term loan from Warwickshire last week to cover for his absence.
The Johannesburg-based Lions confirmed on Thursday they have terminated his contract.
“It ‌has ⁠been an unfortunate period for all parties involved but we have now brought the matter to a close, allowing everyone to move forward,” Lions CEO Jono Leaf-Wright said in a statement.
 “At Lions cricket we hold ourselves to the highest professional standards and take matters of this nature very seriously.”
Swanepoel apologised to the ⁠team but made no comment on his immediate future.
“First and foremost, I would like to thank Lions Cricket for the opportunity to represent the ⁠Union, I loved my season representing the Pride and it will always hold a special place in my heart,” he ⁠said.
“I sincerely apologise to the entire Lions family for what transpired in the final and can assure everyone that many lessons have been learnt.” 



Source link

Sports Tags:cricket, Latest

Post navigation

Previous Post: Lebanon’s hospitals may run out of vital medical supplies within days, warns WHO
Next Post: Student loan forgiveness 2026: Here’s everything borrowers must know about 30-year repayment

More Related Articles

SVP’s One Big Thing: CBB’s out-of-conference scheduling game SVP’s One Big Thing: CBB’s out-of-conference scheduling game Sports
Novak Djokovic reaches ninth Wimbledon final after brushing aside Jannik Sinner; will face Carlos Alcaraz | CNN Novak Djokovic reaches ninth Wimbledon final after brushing aside Jannik Sinner; will face Carlos Alcaraz | CNN Sports
Iga Swiatek: World No.1 calls for more support for Ukrainian tennis players | CNN Iga Swiatek: World No.1 calls for more support for Ukrainian tennis players | CNN Sports
India cricket ends .6m sponsorship after online gambling ban: report India cricket ends $43.6m sponsorship after online gambling ban: report Sports
Ukrainian star Elina Svitolina calls Russian opponent ‘brave’ following French Open win | CNN Ukrainian star Elina Svitolina calls Russian opponent ‘brave’ following French Open win | CNN Sports
World No. 135 Fábián Marozsán provides ‘shock of the season’ by upsetting Carlos Alcaraz in straight sets at Rome Masters | CNN World No. 135 Fábián Marozsán provides ‘shock of the season’ by upsetting Carlos Alcaraz in straight sets at Rome Masters | CNN Sports

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • ‘Potential to diversify’: US state secretary Rubio pushes for US energy supplies to India in meeting with PM Modi
  • Section of Eiffel Tower staircase fetches over €450,000 at auction
  • Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert turns grief over son’s rare disease into search for a cure
  • California man charged with attempted murder after bloody attack outside San Diego ‘Trump House’
  • EasyJet boss says summer flights won’t be hit by jet fuel shortages

Categories

  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Life Style
  • Sports
  • World

Copyright © 2026 Breaking News.

Powered by PressBook Blog WordPress theme