Skip to content
Breaking News

Breaking News

  • Home
  • World
  • Business
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Life Style
  • Sports
  • Toggle search form
Iran nuclear talks ‘didn’t pass the smell test’ before Trump launched strikes, says Vance

Iran nuclear talks ‘didn’t pass the smell test’ before Trump launched strikes, says Vance

Posted on March 3, 2026 By Admin No Comments on Iran nuclear talks ‘didn’t pass the smell test’ before Trump launched strikes, says Vance


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Vice President JD Vance confirmed Monday that negotiations with Iran over its nuclear program collapsed after U.S. officials concluded Tehran’s claims “did not pass the smell test,” prompting President Donald Trump to authorize Operation Epic Fury.

Speaking on “Jesse Watters Primetime,” Vance said U.S. envoys — including Steve Witkoff, Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Jared Kushner — had conducted rounds of “deliberate” talks in Geneva with the Iranian delegation.

The discussions were aimed at curbing Tehran’s nuclear program in exchange for sanctions relief and averting a broader conflict, he said, but ultimately broke down.

“But the Iranians would come back to us and they’d say, ‘Well, you know, having enrichment for civilian purposes, for energy purposes, is a matter of national pride,’” Vance said.

Omani Foreign Minister Badr al-Busaidi, President Donald Trump’s Special Representative for the Middle East, Steve Witkoff and U.S. negotiator Jared Kushner meet ahead of the U.S.-Iran talks, in Muscat, the capital of Oman, on Feb. 06, 2026.  (Oman Foreign Ministry/Anadolu via Getty Images)

“And so we would say, ‘OK, that’s interesting, but why are you building your enrichment facilities 70 feet underground? And why are you enriching to a level that’s way beyond civilian enrichment and is only useful if your goal is to build a nuclear bomb?’” he said.

“Nobody objects to the Iranians being able to build medical isotopes; the objection is these enrichment facilities that are only useful for building a nuclear weapon,” Vance clarified.

“It just doesn’t pass the smell test for you to say that you want enrichment for medical isotopes, while at the same time trying to build a facility 70 to 80 feet underground,” he explained.

TRUMP DECLARES ‘I GOT HIM BEFORE HE GOT ME’ AFTER IRAN’S SUPREME LEADER KILLED IN STRIKE

A missile being launched from the deck of a U.S. Navy ship into the sky.

This image from video provided by U.S. Central Command shows a missile being launched from a U.S. Navy ship in support of Operation Epic Fury on Saturday, Feb. 28, 2026. (U.S. Central Command via AP)

Vance spoke as Operation Epic Fury ended its third day. Launched on Feb. 28, U.S. and Israeli forces carried out coordinated precision strikes deep inside Iran aimed at crippling Tehran’s missile arsenal and nuclear infrastructure.

A key issue had been Iran enriching uranium to high levels, including material around 60% purity — a fraction of weapons-grade but far above limits set under the 2015 nuclear deal — keeping international alarm high over proliferation risks.

“We destroyed Iran’s ability to build a nuclear weapon during President Trump’s term,” Vance told Watters. “We set them back substantially. But I think the President was looking for the long haul,” he said.

“Trump was looking for Iran to make a significant long-term commitment that they would never build a nuclear weapon, that they would not pursue the ability to be on the brink of a nuclear weapon.”

FIRES RAGE AT IRAN’S BANDAR ABBAS NAVAL HEADQUARTERS, STRAIT OF HORMUZ TRAFFIC STALLED

Vice President JD Vance gestures while speaking in front of American flags

Vice President JD Vance speaks with Breitbart News Washington bureau chief Matthew Boyle at Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium, Nov. 20, 2025, in Washington.  (Julia Demaree Nikhinson/AP Photo)

“He wanted to make sure that Iran could never have a nuclear weapon, and that would require fundamentally a change in mindset from the Iranian regime.”

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

“The President is not going to rest until he accomplishes that all-important objective of ensuring that Iran can’t have a nuclear weapon, not just for the next few years, not just because we obliterated for dough or some other.”

“There’s just no way that Donald Trump is going to allow this country to get into a multiyear conflict with no clear end in sight and no clear objective,” Vance added while describing that the administration would prefer to see “a friendly regime in Iran, a stable country, a country that’s willing to work with the United States.”

Related Article

Why Trump invoked regime change in attacking Iran, and the media must learn from past mistakes

Emma Bussey is a breaking news writer for Fox News Digital. Before joining Fox, she worked at The Telegraph with the U.S. overnight team, across desks including foreign, politics, news, sport and culture. 



Source link

World

Post navigation

Previous Post: BPCL, HPCL, IOC, ONGC, GAIL, Oil India Shares In Focus As Iran–US–Israel Conflict Hits Markets
Next Post: Rebecca Ferguson spills secret about ‘Peaky Blinders’ co-star Cillian Murphy

More Related Articles

Bronze Age jar smashed by 4-year-old boy back on display at Israeli museum Bronze Age jar smashed by 4-year-old boy back on display at Israeli museum World
Eric Adams channels Trump as he ramps up revenge accusations against the Biden admin, expert says Eric Adams channels Trump as he ramps up revenge accusations against the Biden admin, expert says World
Wisconsin state agencies, university system failed to track DEI spending, audit reveals Wisconsin state agencies, university system failed to track DEI spending, audit reveals World
Zelensky says 31,000 Ukrainian soldiers killed in war with Russia – SUCH TV Zelensky says 31,000 Ukrainian soldiers killed in war with Russia – SUCH TV World
Pope Leo XIV condemns ‘antisemitic violence’ after massacre in Sydney: ‘We must eliminate hatred’ Pope Leo XIV condemns ‘antisemitic violence’ after massacre in Sydney: ‘We must eliminate hatred’ World
‘Bees starving’ in disastrous year for French honey ‘Bees starving’ in disastrous year for French honey World

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • White House locked down after shooting involving Secret Service, suspect killed
  • ‘Potential to diversify’: US state secretary Rubio pushes for US energy supplies to India in meeting with PM Modi
  • Section of Eiffel Tower staircase fetches over €450,000 at auction
  • Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert turns grief over son’s rare disease into search for a cure
  • California man charged with attempted murder after bloody attack outside San Diego ‘Trump House’

Categories

  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Life Style
  • Sports
  • World

Copyright © 2026 Breaking News.

Powered by PressBook Blog WordPress theme