Skip to content
Breaking News

Breaking News

  • Home
  • World
  • Business
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Life Style
  • Sports
  • Toggle search form
Bangladesh partially restores telecommunication services as protests taper off

Bangladesh partially restores telecommunication services as protests taper off

Posted on July 24, 2024 By Admin No Comments on Bangladesh partially restores telecommunication services as protests taper off


Security personnel and rickshaw pullers move past a partially damaged government building, that was set afire by a mob during clashes after violence erupted following protests by students against government job quotas, in Dhaka, Bangladesh, July 22, 2024. — Reuters 
  • Govt says it would heed Supreme Court ruling. 
  • Govt starts easing curfew imposed last week.
  • Students give govt a fresh 48-hour ultimatum.

DHAKA: Bangladesh partially restored telecommunication services on Wednesday although internet connection was slow and social media remained suspended, days after deadly protests against reservations for government jobs killed almost 150 people.

The country has mostly been calm since Sunday when the Supreme Court scaled down reservations for various categories to 7%, overruling a high court verdict reinstating a 56% quota in government jobs that had been scrapped in 2018.

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s government said on Tuesday that it would heed the Supreme Court ruling.

As demonstrations against the quotas — which included a 30% reservation for family members of freedom fighters from the 1971 war — tapered off, the government started easing the curfew imposed last week.

Restrictions will be relaxed for seven hours on Wednesday and offices will also be open from 11am to 3pm, officials said.

Residents of the capital Dhaka could be seen out on the streets on Wednesday morning as they made their way to their offices, with public buses also plying in some places — in sharp contrast to the violent clashes in the city last week.

Protesting students have given the government a fresh 48-hour ultimatum to fulfil four other conditions of an eight-point list of demands, and said they will announce next steps once that ends on Thursday.

“We want the government to meet our four-point demand, including restoration of internet, withdrawal of police from campuses, and opening universities (which have been closed for a week),” protest coordinator Nahid Islam said.

The South Asian nation of 170 million was rocked by protests since the high court verdict last month, which left less than half of state jobs open on merit in a country where about 32 million young people are out of work or education.

Demonstrations intensified after Hasina refused to meet the protesters’ demands and instead labelled them “razakar”. 

Hasina this week blamed her political opponents for the violence and said the curfew would be lifted “whenever the situation gets better”.

The main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party has denied any role in the violence.

Several countries in the region have evacuated citizens from the violence-hit nation over the last few days, including India and Malaysia.



Source link

Entertainment

Post navigation

Previous Post: Ranking the top 25 women’s soccer players of the 21st century
Next Post: US, Vietnam discuss supplying Hanoi with C-130 military transport planes | Reuters News Agency

More Related Articles

Meghan Markle warned expensive product line will lose customers Meghan Markle warned expensive product line will lose customers Entertainment
Prince Harry warned job opportunities will soon diminish completely Prince Harry warned job opportunities will soon diminish completely Entertainment
Tom Cruise, Elsina Khayrova are now ‘an item’: Insider Tom Cruise, Elsina Khayrova are now ‘an item’: Insider Entertainment
Serena Williams spills which of her daughters ‘reminds me of me’ Serena Williams spills which of her daughters ‘reminds me of me’ Entertainment
PTI leadership uncertain about participation in national security meeting PTI leadership uncertain about participation in national security meeting Entertainment
NASA crashes spacecraft into asteroid moonlet, successfully deflects its orbit NASA crashes spacecraft into asteroid moonlet, successfully deflects its orbit Entertainment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Free bus travel for disabled people in England to be extended to 24 hours a day
  • Virginia man acquitted by insanity in killing flees US during 48-hour mental hospital pass
  • Hayden Panettiere remembered by co-stars and friends after her death:
  • Indonesian mother ‘grateful’ after emergency birth during 7.7 quake
  • Ronaldo hints at retirement, says upcoming year could be his last

Categories

  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Life Style
  • Sports
  • World

Copyright © 2026 Breaking News.

Powered by PressBook Blog WordPress theme